Lighting and Rendering
In this part of our ‘Making of’ series I’m going to show you how I lit and rendered the entire film, using only the basic Maya software renderer (Not Mental Ray or VRay) and without creating any lights.
I have included two video tutorials, the first one covers creating the render layers in Maya and the second one covers compositing them in Nuke.
Creating the World Position material
In the first video I used a special material that takes the world position of the object and colors it with red green and blue (which corresponds with the X, Y and Z axis).
To create the material just follow these steps, or just download the material for free:
- Open the Hypershade window
- Create a Sampler Info node.
- Create a Surface shader
- Open the Connection Editor
- Load the sampler on the left and the surface shader on the right
- Connect the normalCameraX to the outColorR
- Connect the normalCameraY to the outColorG
- Connect the normalCameraZ to the outColorB
- Apply that surface shader to the object of your choice.
Next step: Editing & Color Correction